Do you have previous advanced financial accounting experience in a commercial banking environment? Are you detail-oriented and an analytical problem-solver? If so, Horizon Bank has an opportunity to join our team as a Controller based in our North Austin Operations office. You will not only play a key role in the day-to-day operations of our Accounting department but will also be a leader in the practical application and implementation of accounting standards and policies.
In addition to the traditional accounting role, you will be expected to be a strategic business partner who effectively communicates with key stakeholders, applies forward-thinking skills to accounting problems, and further develops our reporting and analytics. To be an effective Controller with us you will need to work hand-in-hand with management, peers, and others to effectively communicate, monitor, and manage accounting procedures and policies.
- Manage the full cycle accounting process per GAAP including, but not limited to work in process, prepaids, accruals, general ledger balance, fixed assets, and accounts payable.
- Complete monthly, quarterly, and year-end closing procedures including journal entry preparation and account reconciliations.
- Responsible for the Quarterly Call Report and other bank regulatory reporting.
- Maintain accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions.
- Reconcile correspondent bank accounts, general ledger accounts, and other financial accounts.
- Monitor spending, budgets, and forecasts.
- Identify financial issues and communicate analyses and recommendations to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Support both internal and external audit activities throughout the year.
- Work with the CFO and accounting team to manage budgets and cash flow forecasting.
- Analyze and review financial data for accuracy.
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards over financial transactions and reporting.
- Developing and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Other duties as assigned/taken on.
Specific requirements include:
- Minimum: BA/BS in Accounting or Finance and 6+ years of bank financial accounting experience; or the equivalent combination of education and experience, which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job duties of this position.
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Excel, accounting software systems, and banking laws and regulations.
- Optimistic, internally motivated, team-oriented personality; and,
- Ability to make decisions, create change, and help grow a company – while growing yourself.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- 2+ years of senior-level bank accounting experience and/or equivalent time in public accounting or other related field working directly with the banking industry.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Intermediate to advanced level knowledge and experience with financial statements, month-end/year end closing procedures, bank Call Reports and other regulatory reporting requirements, and general ledger functions.
- Experience with bank core processing software is a plus.
Please submit your resume that demonstrates you have read the responsibilities, possess the skills and requirements necessary to be considered for the position and are up to the challenge.
All full-time employees are eligible to participate in our healthcare plans including medical, dental & vision; life/AD&D insurance, our robust 401k plan, and paid time off.
Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you!Apply Now